Job Opportunities with Columbia Riverkeeper
Columbia Riverkeeper is currently looking for a Citizen Outreach Canvasser, Summer Law Clerk and an E.coli Technician Intern to join our team!
Citizen Outreach Canvasser
Citizen Outreach Canvasser Description: Columbia Riverkeeper has an immediate opening for a door-to-door canvassing position in our Portland Office, five days/week. Columbia Riverkeeper is a non-profit conservation organization. Riverkeeper’s mission is to protect and restore the water quality of the Columbia River, and all life connected to it, from the headwaters to the Pacific. Riverkeeper is currently working on a number of the most pressing environmental issues in the Pacific Northwest, including protecting the Columbia from mega-liquefied natural gas, oil-by-rail, and coal export terminals. Riverkeeper fights for stronger laws to reduce toxic pollution and protect endangered salmon habitat.
Your job would be to engage the public, gather support and raise funds by going door to door, identifying citizens who are supportive of our efforts, having meaningful conversations, and encouraging them to get involved as members so we can have the grassroots and financial support we need to be influential and win.
Qualifications: Ideal candidate will have a passion for environmental issues with an interest or background in conservation and environmental studies as well as the following:
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- A friendly, confident, and outgoing personality (this is not a job for introverts).
- Ability to walk for several hours at a time outdoors in the evenings, on your own, in all types of weather.
- Possess a healthy sense of humor with an enthusiastic and optimistic attitude.
- A college degree and/or prior canvassing experience is preferred but not required, as long as you have the right attitude and skills.
Typical schedule: 5 days/week
- 2:30pm: Arrive at our office in SE Portland near Hawthorne and 12th for announcements, training, campaign updates, and to prep materials.
- 3:00 – 3:30pm: Half-hour paid lunch with the canvass crew, usually at a grocery store near the canvass turf.
- 3:30 – 4:00pm: Canvassers dropped off on assigned turf, first knock at 4pm.
- 4:00 – 8:30pm: Canvass door-to-door. On a typical night, knock on about 50-60 doors, have approximately 20-30 conversations, sign-up 3 to 5 new members, raise between $100 to $300.
- 8:30 – 9:00pm: Return to office for cash-out.
Employer’s Application Process:
- Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume, and professional references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Compensation: Compensation for canvassers is very competitive.
Application Deadline: ASAP.
E.coli Technician Intern
Internship Description: Riverkeeper is seeking a responsible volunteer to serve as our E.coli Technician Intern from June-September (5-10 hours/month). As the Technician Intern, you will collect water quality samples, help run the E.coli lab in our Hood River office, manage data, and help to coordinate teams of volunteers monitoring the Columbia River. You will become an expert in E.coli monitoring techniques and methods and will meet a network of volunteers and professionals working to protect the Columbia River.
1. Must be able to swim and be cognizant of safety precautions when wading or boating in the river.
2. Must be able to work independently and with limited oversight.
3. Must be detail-oriented regarding equipment, field protocols, and data entry.
4. Must have a passion for rivers.
5. Must be able to represent Riverkeeper in a friendly and professional manner.
6. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Application Process: Send an email to Lorri Epstein Lorri@columbiariverkeeper.org. Please include the position title in the email subject line. The email should include a single pdf attachment that contains a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references. Please label your single pdf file in the following format: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. For example, SMITH, MARY.pdf.
Compensation: This is a volunteer position. Compensation for travel is available. Experience gained through this position will greatly benefit persons looking to further a career in water resources. Technicians will receive free entry to Riverkeeper sponsored events.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2015
Contact: Lorri Epstein, Water Quality Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Clerkship Description: Columbia Riverkeeper is a non-profit conservation organization based in the scenic Columbia River Gorge town of Hood River, OR. Riverkeeper’s mission is to protect and restore the water quality of the Columbia River, and all life connected to it, from the headwaters to the Pacific. Riverkeeper is currently working on a number of the most pressing environmental issues in the Pacific Northwest, including protecting the Columbia from mega-liquefied natural gas, oil-by-rail, and coal export terminals. Riverkeeper fights for stronger laws to reduce toxic pollution and protect endangered salmon habitat. Riverkeeper’s caseload includes Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, open government, and local land use cases.
Riverkeeper is seeking summer law clerks and externs. Riverkeeper focuses on giving clerks hands on experience working with the organization’s attorneys to improve legal writing and research skills while learning about laws that help protect habitat and water quality in the Columbia River Basin.
Qualifications: 1L; 2L; 3L.
Employer’s Application Process:
- Application Materials: Please include all applications materials in one PDF document titled “LastName.FirstName Clerkship Application” (Example: Doe.Jane Clerkship Application).
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Reference list with minimum of three references
- Send application materials by email with the Title “YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME Law Clerk Application” to Columbia Riverkeeper at email@example.com.
Compensation: Riverkeeper can work with applicants to secure funding via public interest grant programs available at some law schools. If this option is not feasible, the clerkship is a volunteer position.
Application Deadline: Ongoing.
Contact: Lauren Goldberg, Staff Attorney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Columbia Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.