Job Opportunities with Columbia Riverkeeper
Columbia Riverkeeper is currently looking for a Clean Water Community Organizer and Citizen Outreach Canvasser to join our team!
Citizen Outreach Canvasser
Citizen Outreach Canvasser Description: Columbia Riverkeeper has an immediate opening for a door-to-door canvassing position in our Portland Office, five days/week. Columbia Riverkeeper is a non-profit conservation organization. Riverkeeper’s mission is to protect and restore the water quality of the Columbia River, and all life connected to it, from the headwaters to the Pacific. Riverkeeper is currently working on a number of the most pressing environmental issues in the Pacific Northwest, including protecting the Columbia from mega-liquefied natural gas, oil-by-rail, and coal export terminals. Riverkeeper fights for stronger laws to reduce toxic pollution and protect endangered salmon habitat.
Your job would be to engage the public, gather support and raise funds by going door to door, identifying citizens who are supportive of our efforts, having meaningful conversations, and encouraging them to get involved as members so we can have the grassroots and financial support we need to be influential and win.
Qualifications: Ideal candidate will have a passion for environmental issues with an interest or background in conservation and environmental studies as well as the following:
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- A friendly, confident, and outgoing personality (this is not a job for introverts).
- Ability to walk for several hours at a time outdoors in the evenings, on your own, in all types of weather.
- Possess a healthy sense of humor with an enthusiastic and optimistic attitude.
- A college degree and/or prior canvassing experience is preferred but not required, as long as you have the right attitude and skills.
Typical schedule: 5 days/week
- 2:30pm: Arrive at our office in SE Portland near Hawthorne and 12th for announcements, training, campaign updates, and to prep materials.
- 3:00 – 3:30pm: Half-hour paid lunch with the canvass crew, usually at a grocery store near the canvass turf.
- 3:30 – 4:00pm: Canvassers dropped off on assigned turf, first knock at 4pm.
- 4:00 – 8:30pm: Canvass door-to-door. On a typical night, knock on about 50-60 doors, have approximately 20-30 conversations, sign-up 3 to 5 new members, raise between $100 to $300.
- 8:30 – 9:00pm: Return to office for cash-out.
Employer’s Application Process:
- Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume, and professional references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Compensation: Compensation for canvassers is very competitive.
Columbia Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.